Mancos Conservation District
PO Box 694
604 Bauer Avenue
Mancos, CO 81328
In the early 1930s the United States experienced an unparalleled ecological disaster known as the Dust Bowl. Severe, sustained drought in the Great Plains caused soil erosion and huge black dust storms that blotted out the sun. The storms stretched south to Texas and east to New York. Dust even sifted into the White House and onto the desk of President Franklin D. Roosevelt. After seeing the sky black with dust in Washington, the U.S. Congress unanimously passed legislation declaring soil and water conservation a national policy and priority. Since about three-fourths of the United States was privately owned, Congress realized that only active, voluntary support from landowners would guarantee the success of conservation work on private land. In 1937, President Roosevelt wrote the governors of all the states recommending legislation that would allow local landowners to form soil conservation districts. The Mancos Conservation District was formed in 1948 and serves Montezuma County, the Town of Mancos, and the San Juan Watershed.
The unified mission of all conservation districts is to coordinate assistance from all interested public, private, local, state, and federal resources to develop locally driven solutions to natural resource concerns. The mission of the Mancos Conservation District is to promote long-term sustainable use and protection of the natural resources of the Mancos River Watershed.
The Mancos Conservation District is governed by a volunteer board of supervisors.
Unless otherwise noticed, the Board of Directors meets the 2nd Tuesday of each month at 4 pm at 604 Bauer Ave., Mancos, CO 81328. The Manager of the District, Lea Cody, is directly responsible to the Board of Directors and supervises all of the daily activities of the staff.
Visit the Mancos Conservation District website at: www.mancoscd.org