Empire Electric Association
801 North Broadway
P.O. Box K
Cortez, Colorado 81321
Established in 1939, Empire Electric Association (EEA) is a member owned nonprofit rural electric cooperative, serving consumers in southwest Colorado and northeast Utah. EEA provides energy and energy related services to Cortez, Dolores, Mancos, Dove Creek, Towaoc, and Monticello.
Our primary mission is to safely, responsibly and reliably meet the electrical energy needs of our member-owners.
- Safely means that we put the safety of our employees and the public above any other concern.
- Responsibly means that we provide affordable, equitable and environmentally responsible services for the benefit of our collective membership.
- Reliably means that we work proactively to keep electric service available to our members and diligently to restore service when outages occur.
Being a cooperative is more than just our business model. It’s how we approach working together. We share knowledge, listen, collaborate and solve problems TOGETHER.
EEA’s service area is divided into seven districts from which one director from each district is elected to serve on the Board of Directors. Directors are elected by the members. Each membership has one vote in the election, either at a meeting held for such purpose or by mail ballot. Each membership is not limited to vote on director nominees in their own district. They can cast votes for all director districts open for election.
Empire Electric Association is governed by a seven member Board of Directors who represent the 7 Districts which make up EEA’s service area. The present Directors, their positions on the Board, and current terms of office are as follows:
- David Sitton, District Six, President (to 2023)
- J. Kent Lindsay, District Five, Vice President (to 2023)
- Jerry Fetterman, District One, Secretary -Treasurer (to 2021)
- Bob Barry, District Two, Director (to 2021)
- William C. Bauer, District Three (to 2022)
- Norman Butler, District Four, Director (to 2024)
- Larry Archibeque, District Seven, Director (to 2024)
Unless otherwise noticed, the Board of Directors meets the second Friday of each month at 8:30 am at the EEA offices in Cortez. The Manager of the District, Neal Stephens, is directly responsible to the Board of Directors and supervises all of the daily activities of the EEA staff.
Visit the Empire Electric Association website at: www.eea.coop