Animas-La Plata Water Conservancy District
841 East Second Avenue
Durango, CO 81301
The Animas-La Plata Water Conservancy District (ALPWCD) is a special district formed on March 18, 1981 as set forth in C.R.S. 37-45-102. The territory included within the boundaries of the District are divided into three subdivisions with Directors appointed from each.
The general purpose of the District includes, but is not limited to: “acquire and appropriate waters of the Animas and La Plata rivers and their tributaries and other sources of water supply by means of ‘works’ as defined in the ‘Water Conservancy Act’ and to divert, store, transport, conserve and stabilize all of said supplies of water for domestic, irrigation, power, manufacturing and other beneficial uses within and for the territory to be included in the District.”
The ALPWCD is governed by a 15-member Board of Directors. The Board adopts an annual budget based upon a mill levy. Directors are appointed to four-year terms by the Division 7 Water Judge. The present Directors, their positions on the Board, and current terms of office are as follows:
- Robert Wolff, President, Subdivision 2 (to March 2020)
- Kenneth Beegles, Vice President, Subdivision 3 (to March 2018)
- Gene Bradley, Secretary-Treasurer, Subdivision 2 (to March 2021)
- Tom Brossia, Director, Subdivision 2 (to March 2019)
- Lee Campbell, Director, Subdivision 3 (to March 2021)
- Joseph Colgan, Director, Subdivision 3 (to March 2021)
- Ronald Gillen, Director, Subdivision 1 (to March 2021)
- Jerry Schmitt, Director, Subdivision 1 (to March 2018)
- Tom Hartnett, Director, Subdivision 1 (to March 2019)
- Dan Huntington, Director, Subdivision 1 (to March 2019)
- Matt Isgar, Director, Subdivision 1 (to March 2021)
- Stephen Krest, Director, Subdivision 1 (to March 2021)
- David Liberman, Director, Subdivision 3 (to March 2021)
- Deems Taylor, Director, Subdivision 1 (to March 2021)
- John T. (Ted) Vickers, Director, Subdivision 3 (to March 2018)
Currently, the Board of Directors meets quarterly.
ALPWCD has two employees: Executive Director, Bruce Whitehead, and Office Manager, Laura Spann.
2018 Meeting Schedule: Tuesday, May 22 at 7:00pm (Marvel Grange), Tuesday, August 28 at 7:00pm (Marvel Grange), Tuesday, September 11 at 1:30pm (Budget Committee Workshop), Tuesday, November 27 at 5:00pm (District Office). The notice agenda will be posted below one week prior to the meeting. If you would like to receive email notification of District meetings, please contact [email protected].
Please see below minutes approved by the board from the past year.
For Open Records requests, please see the attached document below.
|ALPWCD Minutes 11-9-17pdf||264.73 KB|
|ALPWCD Minutes 8-17-17.pdf||215.82 KB|
|ALPWCD Minutes 5-16-17pdf||277.33 KB|
|ALPWCD Open Records Policy.pdf||9.25 KB|