Animas-La Plata Water Conservancy District
841 East Second Avenue
Durango, CO 81301
The Animas-La Plata Water Conservancy District (ALPWCD) is a special district formed on March 18, 1981 as set forth in C.R.S. 37-45-102. The territory included within the boundaries of the District are divided into three subdivisions with Directors appointed from each.
The general purpose of the District includes, but is not limited to: “acquire and appropriate waters of the Animas and La Plata rivers and their tributaries and other sources of water supply by means of ‘works’ as defined in the ‘Water Conservancy Act’ and to divert, store, transport, conserve and stabilize all of said supplies of water for domestic, irrigation, power, manufacturing and other beneficial uses within and for the territory to be included in the District.”
The ALPWCD is governed by a 15-member Board of Directors. The Board adopts an annual budget based upon a mill levy. Directors are appointed to four-year terms by the Division 7 Water Judge. The present Directors, their positions on the Board, and current terms of office are as follows:
- Robert Wolff, President, Subdivision 2 (to March 2020)
- Kenneth Beegles, Vice President, Subdivision 3 (to March 2022)
- Gene Bradley, Secretary-Treasurer, Subdivision 2 (to March 2021)
- Tom Brossia, Director, Subdivision 2 (to March 2023)
- Lee Campbell, Director, Subdivision 3 (to March 2021)
- David Peters, Director, Subdivision 3 (to March 2021)
- Ronald Gillen, Director, Subdivision 1 (to March 2021)
- Jerry Schmitt, Director, Subdivision 1 (to March 2022)
- Tom Hartnett, Director, Subdivision 1 (to March 2023)
- Dan Huntington, Director, Subdivision 1 (to March 2023)
- Matt Isgar, Director, Subdivision 1 (to March 2021)
- Stephen Krest, Director, Subdivision 1 (to March 2021)
- David Liberman, Director, Subdivision 3 (to March 2021)
- Steve Ruddell, Director, Subdivision 3 (to March 2022)
- Deems Taylor, Director, Subdivision 1 (to March 2021)
Currently, the Board of Directors meets quarterly.
ALPWCD currently has one employee: Office Manager, Laura Spann.
2019 Meetings: Tuesday, August 27 at 7:00pm (Marvel), Tuesday, September 10 at 1:30pm (Durango, Budget Workshop), and Tuesday, November 26 at 5:00pm (Durango). Please check back here for agenda notices one week prior to the meeting. If you would like to receive email notification of District meetings, please contact [email protected].
For Open Records requests, please see the attached document below.