Animas-La Plata Water Conservancy District
954 East 2nd Avenue STE 102
Durango, CO 81301
The Animas-La Plata Water Conservancy District (ALPWCD) was formed on March 18, 1981 under the Water Conservancy Act as set forth in C.R.S. 37-45-102. The territory included within the boundaries of the District are divided into three subdivisions with Directors appointed from each.
The general purpose of the District includes, but is not limited to: “acquire and appropriate waters of the Animas and La Plata rivers and their tributaries and other sources of water supply by means of ‘works’ as defined in the ‘Water Conservancy Act’ and to divert, store, transport, conserve and stabilize all of said supplies of water for domestic, irrigation, power, manufacturing and other beneficial uses within and for the territory to be included in the District.”
The Animas-La Plata Water Conservancy District was one of the seven original sponsors of the ALP Project: The other sponsors included the Southern Ute Indian Tribe, Ute Mountain Ute Tribe, Navajo Nation, State of Colorado, La Plata Conservancy District in New Mexico, and San Juan Water Commission in New Mexico.
The project is managed by the ALP Operations, Maintenance and Replacement, Association, and includes representatives from the project participants. (ALPOM&R Association)
The City of Durango, La Plata West Water Authority, and Lake Durango Water Authority have all acquired ALP project supplies from the original allocation to the Animas-La Plata Water Conservancy District.
The City of Durango manages the recreational component of the project.
The ALPWCD is governed by a 15-member Board of Directors. The Board adopts an annual budget based upon a mill levy. Directors are appointed to four-year terms by the Division 7 Water Judge based their experience and background on water issues. The present Directors, their positions on the Board, and current terms of office are as follows:
- Robert Wolff, President, Subdivision 2 (to March 2024)
- Kenneth Beegles, Vice President, Subdivision 3 (to March 2022)
- Gene Bradley, Secretary-Treasurer, Subdivision 2 (to March 2025)
- Tom Brossia, Director, Subdivision 2 (to March 2023)
- Lee Campbell, Director, Subdivision 3 (to March 2025)
- David Peters, Director, Subdivision 3 (to March 2025)
- Jordan Gillen, Director, Subdivision 1 (to March 2025)
- Jerry Schmitt, Director, Subdivision 1 (to March 2022)
- Mae Morley, Director, Subdivision 1 (to March 2023)
- Dan Huntington, Director, Subdivision 1 (to March 2023)
- Matt Isgar, Director, Subdivision 1 (to March 2025)
- Stephen Krest, Director, Subdivision 1 (to March 2025)
- David Liberman, Director, Subdivision 3 (to March 2025)
- Steve Ruddell, Director, Subdivision 3 (to March 2022)
- Deems Taylor, Director, Subdivision 1 (to March 2025)
Currently, the Board of Directors meets quarterly.
Meeting Dates and Notices:
November 17th, 2021 5:00pm
Meeting will be held at the Southwestern Water Conservation District Office
841 East Second Avenue
Durango, CO 81301