- About WIP
- Participating Entities
- Animas-La Plata Water Conservancy District
- City of Durango Water Commission
- Colorado Water Resources and Power Development Authority
- Dolores Water Conservancy District
- Florida Water Conservancy District
- La Plata Electric Association
- La Plata Water Conservancy District
- Mancos Conservation District
- Mancos Water Conservancy District
- Pagosa Area Water and Sanitation District (PAWSD)
- Pine River Irrigation District
- San Juan Water Conservancy District
- Southwestern Water Conservation District
- U.S. Bureau of Reclamation
- Regional Water Projects
- Animas River Stakeholders
- Animas-La Plata Project
- Cloud Seeding Program
- Dolores Project (McPhee Reservoir)
- Dry Gulch Reservoir (Pending)
- Florida Project (Lemon Reservoir)
- Jackson Gulch Reservoir
- Long Hollow Reservoir
- Pine River Project (Vallecito Reservoir)
- Rio Blanco Restoration Project
- River Protection Work Group
- UMETCO (Urivan) Water Rights
- Water Information
- Contact WIP
March 26, 2013--EPA finds 55 percent of rivers and streams in US in poor condition; situation worse in East (Washington Post)
More than half of the country’s rivers and streams are in poor biological health, unable to support healthy populations of aquatic insects and other creatures, according to a new nationwide survey released Tuesday. The Environmental Protection Agency sampled nearly 2,000 locations in 2008 and 2009 — from rivers as large as the Mississippi River to streams small enough for wading.
Nutrients in water – sounds good. Like a vitamin-water mix. However, like vitamins, nutrients are good in the right amount and can be problematic in too high a dose. When talking about nutrients in water, the most common components discussed are nitrogen and phosphorus.
Discussions are under way to establish the state’s first standards for nutrients such as nitrogen and phosphorus in waterways. Though the elements, found in fertilizers, are essential for plants and animals, they also can stimulate algae blooms that steal oxygen from aquatic life.
A water fight that’s been bubbling beneath the surface of public consciousness for at least a decade is likely to erupt like a geyser in coming months as Colorado public heal
June 3, 2011--River mystery solved: Scientists discover how 'didymo' algae bloom in pristine waters with few nutrients (Science Daily)
The pristine state of unpolluted waterways may be their downfall, according to research results published in the journal Geophysical Research Letters.
February 17, 2011--UNEP year book: Phosphorus and plastic pollute world's oceans (Environmental News Service)
Enormous amounts of the fertilizer phosphorus are discharged into oceans due to inefficiencies in farming and a failure to recycle wastewater, the United Nations Environment Programme warns in its 2011 Year Book released today.
September 27, 2010--Elevated Nitrogen and Phosphorus Still Widespread in U.S. Streams and Groundwater (Science Daily)
Elevated concentrations of nitrogen and phosphorus, nutrients that can negatively impact aquatic ecosystems and human health, have remained the same or increased in many streams and aquifers across the United States since the early 1990's, according to a new national study by the U.S. Geological Survey.
January 18, 2010--Florida first state for EPA nutrient limits in surface waters (Environmental News Service)
The U.S. EPA is planning to impose limits on phosphorus and nitrogen in Florida waters that will be the first federal standards for nutrient pollution in the waters of a state. This action would potentially have consequences for other states.
The condition of 56 percent of the lakes in the United States is rated as good and the remaining 44 percent are in fair or poor condition, according to a draft study released by today by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
Oil ain’t the only finite resource we’re using up on Earth. Phosphorus, a nutrient essential to farming, is also non-renewable. On Thursday, during a weeklong conference on the phosphorus conundrum held by the Aspen Global Change Center, an expert said he believed phosphorus reserves will run out in the next 50 to 100 years. To best manage what’s left of it, said Dr.