La Plata Electric Association

LA PLATA ELECTRIC ASSOCIATION (LPEA)

45 Stewart St.
P.O. Box 2750
Durango, CO  81302
(970) 247-5786
Fax: (970) 247-2674

BACKGROUND

In 1939, forward-thinking citizens in the region celebrated years of research, planning and consultation with the official incorporation of the electric cooperative, La Plata Electric Association. The first meeting of the incorporating directors was held in downtown Durango, where citizens had been enjoying the benefits of electricity since 1892 when Durango Light and Power Company, (and later the Western Colorado Power Company, which was eventually merged into LPEA) embraced the fledgling technology of alternating current (AC).  Few urban residents believed that the rural parts of Southwest Colorado would ever be illuminated, due to the tremendous cost of extending lines and service to isolated farms and ranches. Rural cooperatives across the country have a history of inventiveness and determination, working together to sustain communities and enhance the lives of the hard-working souls who were tough enough to “make it” outside of an urban hub. LPEA’s founding fathers (and mothers) were no less determined, and when spurred by the federal Rural Electrification Administration (REA), established in 1936 to provide loans explicitly to “shine the light” in rural areas, they came together to make La Plata Electric happen. 

MISSION

La Plata Electric Association provides its members safe, reliable electricity at the lowest reasonable cost while being environmentally responsible

MANAGEMENT

District 1

Bob Formwalt
Ken Fox
Mark Garcia

District 2

Thomas L. Compton
Jerry L. McCaw
Davin Montoya

District 3

Britt Bassett
Jeffrey Berman
Michael Rendon

District 4

Heather Erb
Jack Turner
Joe Wheeling

RELATED LINKS 

La Plata Electric Association